How to clean a Desk Lamp
A desk lamp is a must-have decor item in your home and especially in your desk. It can enhance the beauty of your sweet home and increase the working performance by providing adequate lighting.
But, a dirty desk lamp can ruin the beauty of your desk and hamper your concentration while working.
In fact, no one would like a dirty desk lamp as they look dull and less attractive.
It may happen that you are not using the lamp and keeping it in a place for a long time. That’s why it may become dusty. Or you are using it for a long time and have no time to clean it.
Be patient, a good cleaning would make them as good as new. Fortunately, cleaning a desk lamp is not that difficult and we will describe it how.
Here we will just cover the basic cleaning part. We will not show any repairs. For repairing, you may check this video.
Why you need to clean the desk lamp
- To ensure good performance, regular care and maintenance are required.
- To get superior performance.
- If you clean it regularly, it will look like new.
- Durability will be increased and you can use it for a long time.
When to clean a desk lamp
To keep your desk lamp looking nice and sparkly, you might have to clean them from time to time. You should clean it once every 3-4 weeks (depending on the dirt, dust, and environment). Remember, if you wipe it off with a thin cloth every few days, it will not accumulate any lasting dirt.
To avoid any unwanted incidents take these safety precautions first,
- Unplug the lamp from its power source like electricity or battery.
- Always clean the lamp with a soft dry cloth.
- Make sure cleaning materials are smooth and free of grit.
- If your desk lamp was just turned on before you decided to clean it, the light bulb may be very hot and might have heated up the glass as well. If you just turned off the light, let the light cool down for 10 minutes before you start cleaning.
What you Need
- A clean and soft dry cloth.
- Laundry detergent.
- A brush, which will help you to clean the corner and edge of the desk lamp.
What NOT to Do
Desk lamp mainly made with plastic, metal, ceramic and wood. Do not use any abrasive, acid, bleach, alcohol based or solvent based cleaners. They may damage the lamp.
The Actual Cleaning Procedure
Please follow the cleaning procedure provided below.
Step 1 – Disconnect the desk lamp from the power supply. Keep the desk lamp on a flat table where there is adequate lighting.
Step 2 – Take the dry cloth and wipe the whole desk lamp.
Step 3 – You can use a light wet cloth if the dirt layer is high. In that case, you can soak the cloth with laundry detergent. Continue until you clean all areas of the lamp.
Step 4 – Use the brush to clean the corner and edges of the lamp as the cloth does not reach there.
Step 5 – After cleaning the whole lamp dry it completely.
As you can see there’s not much to do to clean a desk lamp. You can do it yourself. With regular cleaning and maintenance, you can keep your old desk lamp as good as new.